I found this document from February 2000 when going through some old files on the computer and thought it was funny; I think it originally came from some email humor.
You might be from the Pacific Northwest if you…
1. Feel guilty about throwing aluminum cans or paper in the trash.
2. Use the expression “sun break” and know what it means.
3. Know more than 10 ways to order coffee.
4. Know more people who own boats than air conditioners.
5. Feel overdressed wearing a suit to a nice restaurant.
6. Stand on a deserted corner in the rain waiting for the “WALK” signal.
7. Are amazed by accurate weather forecasts.
8. Consider that if it has no snow or has not recently erupted, it’s not a real mountain.
9. Complain about Californians, as you sell your house for twice its value to one.
10. Know the difference between Chinook, Coho and Sockeye salmon.
11. Know how to pronounce Sequim, Puyallup, Issaquah and Oregon.
12. Consider swimming an indoor sport.
13. See your golf ball bounce, you know immediately that you’ve hit the cart path and not the fairway.
14. Can tell the difference between Japanese, Chinese and Thai food.
15. In winter, go to work in the dark and come home in the dark—while only working 8-hour days.
16. Obey all traffic laws except “Keep right except to pass.”
17. Never go camping without waterproof matches and a poncho.
18. Are not fazed by “Today’s forecast: showers followed by rain,” or “Tomorrow’s forecast: rain followed by showers.”
19. Can’t wait for a day with “Showers and sun breaks.”
20. Have no concept of humidity without precipitation.
21. Can taste the difference between Starbucks, Seattle’s Best Coffee and Veneto’s.
22. Know that Boring is a town in Oregon and not just a state of mind.
23. Can point to at least two volcanoes, even if you can’t see through the cloud cover.
24. Say “The mountain is out” when it’s a pretty day and you can actually see it.
25. Have more rain gear in your golf bag than golf balls.
26. Put on your shorts when the temperature gets above 50, but still wear your hiking boots and parka.
27. Switch to your sandals when it gets above 60, but keep the socks on.
28. Have actually used your mountain bike on a mountain.
29. Have a heater in your golf cart.
30. Think people who use umbrellas are either wimps or tourists.
31. Knew immediately that the view outside of Frasier’s window was fake.
32. You know you’re from the NW if you buy new sunglasses every year because you can’t find the old ones after not having used them for such a long time….